These cookies are a little on the meaty side. They contain various meaty substances, ranging from chicken to liver, and your furry pal is sure to love them! If you’ve got a very treat motivated pooch who loves the scent of meaty cookies, then these are the recipes for you! As always, they contain healthy ingredients too so that you’re giving your pal a healthy snack without them knowing it (especially for those picky eater that are out there…) Enjoy!
Beefy Barley Biscuits
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic granules
4 tablespoons parsley 2 cups beef broth
2 cups barley flour
3-4 cups rye flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).
2. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic and parsley.
3. Heat the beef broth (it’s best to make your own, canned or condensed broths have added salt, sugars, and preservatives) or water until steaming and add to the olive oil mixture. Stir in barley flour and let cool until lukewarm — or cool enough to work with. Gradually blend in rye flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.
4. Transfer to a floured (rye flour) surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes).
5. Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Use the cookie cutter of your choice (we prefer to make small bones) or cut into small squares. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
7. After you finish baking all batches of biscuits, turn off the oven, spread all the biscuits in one baking pan and set them in the oven to cool for a few hours or overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crunchier.
This makes several dozen small treats that will keep well in a closed container, or you can freeze them until needed.
1/2 cup amaranth — *see Note
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken — or turkey
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 whole egg
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup carrot — finely chopped
1/4 cup spinach — finely chopped
1/4 cup zucchini — finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Add amaranth and chicken broth to sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. In a large mixing bowl add meat, cottage cheese, veggies, and eggs. Mix thoroughly. Add wheat germ, cooled amaranth and olive oil mix well.
4. Add mixture to loaf pan, bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done.
This can be mixed into your furry friends dinner for a supplement, treat, reward, you name it. They’re sure to love the meaty taste and the effort that you spent making this great little treat for them. It keeps well in the fridge for several days, but it might not be around for more than a day or two!
*Note: Amaranth can be found in a health food store, but if you can’t find it, use barley. Barley will need 4 cups of broth and 50 minutes to cook (step one).